Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

I love farmers market and buying local produce. Now that we have moved to a small farming and ranching community, farmers markets are a lot different than city ones. They do not offer the variety of food, but as a major bonus, they are a TON cheaper. I can buy vegetables for the week for my family for $8-10. I came home the other night with half a dozen corn, about 5 tomatoes (red) and 5 tomatoes (green), bag of onions, 6 cucumbers and 4 zuchini, and that all cost me about $12. Plus they use no herbicides and pesticides!

So going to local markets, you get to see what locals like to cook, and let me tell you, there are a ton of green tomatoes, okra, and blacked eyed peas (not dried). I decided that I needed to experiment with local foods. First up was fried green tomatoes. They are super easy and delicious! I am trying to get up enough guts to experiment with okra. If anyone has good recipes for okra, let me know.
Prepped and ready to go

They look a little funny because I tried to make them healthy by not frying them in oil really, and spraying them with PAM and then frying. I guess that is not very southern. Hope Paula Dean never looks at my blog.

The end product- Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato sandwich. Matt thought it was delicious, but it was definitely not healthy :-)


1 comment:

David and Kate said...

you are more adventurous than I am with trying new vegetables. Good for you!