Sunday, June 1, 2008

A whole lot of firsts

1. Her first sickness, spinal tap, ambulance ride, IV, catheter and hospital stay.



Well we will begin this blog by the new firsts that most people are wondering about. On Friday, I noticed that Mikayla's soft spot was a little swollen and that she had a slight fever, and I remember that that is a bad combination from my little sister telling me that in a passing conversation. So I called the doctor, and she wanted to see her. We went straight to her doctor's office, and once she checked Mikayla out, she said that we needed to go straight to the hospital by ambulance because she was afraid she may have meningitis. The ambulance was taking a while to get there, so they went ahead and gave her the first dose of antibiotics just in case. When we got to the hospital, they did a spinal tap, and took blood, urine and her poop for cultures. Plus they started an IV. She ended up having a gastrointestinal virus, and are not sure why she had so much pressure in her spinal fluid.

2. Her first time eating cereal. 6/1/08
3. First time staying in a hotel, swimming, and hiking.
Over the memorial Day weekend, my (Michelle) mom, dad, Julia, Steve (Julia's boyfriend) , Mikayla, and I went to Colorado Springs for my cousins graduation. It was a fun trip and we got to see a lot of family. Julia learned that babies wake up early, no matter what time they go to sleep and would fondly call Mikayla babyzilla in the morning. Here are pictures of some of her firsts.

3 comments:

katherine said...

I am so glad Mikayla doesn't have meningitis! So sorry you had to go through all that.

I really like your dad's hat in the hiking photo. And I never realized how much you look like your mom. It really shows up in that same photo.

Luke & Kristin said...

I'm really glad she's ok. I was talking to Greg when he found out you were going to the hospital, so he told me about it and we were praying fervently.. of course he never updated me to let me know that she was ok.. but.. I suppose extra prayers never hurt ;-)

Luke & Kristin said...

hey michelle, I only have your old email address, and I don't know if it's still accurate.
so mine is Kristin.L.Bryan@gmail.com

I'll give it to Greg to pass along too.. but I can't guarantee that it will get to you that way ;-) so I figured I'd cover my bases.

Hopefully I'll get to talk to you soon! I miss all of you guys, Luke has been wanting to make the trip for a long time now.