Sunday, June 29, 2008

Waste Not

My friend Kate recently wrote about how she loves to put things in the freezer, and that is something new that she was excited about. So I thought I would add unto her blog on things that I love, but alas, it will be without pictures (I did contemplate putting a picture of ricotta cheese). So lately I have been disgusted with how much Americans waste-food wise and also recycling. So while Matt and I have been recycling like crazy over the past year plus have all canvas shopping bags, I decided while we do not waste a ton of food, we still waste food. And with food prices rising, my new mission/challenge is that every week when I make my menu, to incorporate the foods left over from the week before (which I have to really plan 2 weeks together because I am a stickler and expiration dates and not eating any prepared food after 3 days in the fridge). For example, we had calzones this week, which did use up the lunch meat left over, but I had to buy ricotta and pepperoni for them. So this week on my menu I am making up a casserole that incorporates those 2 foods, plus some noodles I had left over and tomatoes (not salmonella ones). Hopefully it will be delicious! It has become quite the challenge as I try to not throw any (or very little) food away, and I am starting to feel like I am becoming more like grandmas who can make soups and casseroles with whatever they have left over! I have some foods that still baffle me though, so if you have any good recipes that involve celery, olives, or left over seasoned pork or beef, please pass them my way.

1 comment:

katherine said...

We've been trying to use canvas shopping bags for years but we forget them often. It's nice more people are using them b/c then the cashiers don't look at us like we're crazy. Most people in Australia use them which is where we purchased ours.

Try allrecipes.com and use and ingredient search to use up your left overs. Throwing food away drives me crazy.

I never knew you were such a stickler about food like that. At least you eat leftovers. Some people don't even do that.