Sunday, March 28, 2010

Update on Mikayla's health

I just wanted to give you all an update. On Thursday night we were at a banquet and Mikayla went from happily playing with the kids, to having a hard time breathing and just laying in my arms not able to keep her eyes open in less than an hours time. I left the banquet and went straight to her doctor's office (thank goodness for a doctor's office that stays open so late). They took her oxygen level and temp when we got there. She was running a temp and her oxygen level was extremely low. They gave her a breathing treatment, but it dropped even lower. So they had to put her on oxygen. They could not get her oxygen levels to rise to a level they were comfortable with, so they ordered an ambulance and took us to the hospital. There they took blood work and chest x-rays and determined she had bacterial pneumonia. They put her on an IV, IV antibiotics, oxygen, and breathing treatments every 4 hours. On Friday, they were able to take her off oxygen, but then on Friday night, they ended up having to put her back on it at night because her levels kept falling. Originally they thought we may go home Saturday night, but now they are thinking the earliest will be Monday (and they are not even sure about that). Last night (Saturday) they had to increase the amount of oxygen she is getting. It is so hard watching your little baby so sick. Thank you for all of your prayers. We ask continual prayer that her oxygen levels will increase on her own so that they can take her off the oxygen (especially at night and when napping because that is they time they are concerned about), that the pneumonia in her right lung will clear up, and for patience and strength for all 3 of us as we are tired and poor Mikayla does not understand why she needs the IV and oxygen. She told me yesterday "mama, I don't' want to be attached" so she is sick of all of the machines. Thank you for all of those that have brought us meals, or just company as a change of pace in the room.
Thank you Aunt Juju for the flower pillow case for my hospital bed. I love it.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

michelle, I'm so glad you shared this on the blog. We will be praying for Mikayla to get well quickly and for you and Matt as you deal with have your sweet girl in the hospital. I know it is very tough. Praying...

katherine said...

Oh my! Praying that Mikayla is well again soon. Hang in there. I wish I were close enough to bring you a meal or spend some time hanging out.

David and Kate said...

Oh poor baby!!!! I wish I could be there to help.